Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Stop The Press!

Just wanted to let everyone know that the latest issue of Air Forces Monthly (June 2009) should be hitting the U.S. newsstands pretty soon. Those of you in Europe may already have seen it.


The reason for the head's up is I wanted to bring to your attention an article by Gary Wetzel on VS-22's final days as the last active duty S-3 Viking squadron in the US Navy. As many of you know, the S-3 and the Viking Community are very near and dear to my heart. Over the years I worked closely with Sea Control Wing at NAS Jax and I am proud to call many of those whom I worked with my friends today. My first magazine cover was a shot of an S-3 Viking. So was my second. Gary does a fine job of bringing the story of the Vidars, as VS-22 was sometimes known, to the reader. It also features some pretty cool photos taken by yours truly including the one on the opening spread as seen below.

In my opinion the S-3 was the most under
appreciated aircraft that ever operated off a modern aircraft carrier. The jet was the Swiss Army Knife of Naval Aviation with a wide range of capabilities that unfortunately fell victim to politics and an ever shrinking budget. I hope you'll check out the story, its worth your time.



Fair Winds & Following Seas Hoover - You Will Be Missed

Thanks Again For Stopping By & All The Best

Fuji Out

No comments:

Post a Comment